Comprised of the oldest and most comprehensive collection of railroad history in the Western Hemisphere, the Baltimore & Ohio (B&O) Railroad Museum, Inc. is a unique cultural and educational asset for the city and the region. An unparalleled roster of 19th and 20th century railroad equipment, original shop buildings, and surviving tracks at the historic Mt. Clare site provide an integrated resource to present virtually every aspect of American railroad development and its impact on our society, culture and economy.
The Baltimore & Ohio Railroad Museum is dedicated to the preservation of the physical legacy and the experience of American railroading and the interpretation of its history to the widest possible audience. The museum emphasizes the history of the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad, Western Maryland Railway, CSX Corporation and other Maryland railroads, and those entities with which they connected or closely interacted. Additionally, the museum works on the development of programs which help to broaden and deepen the public appreciation of the past, present, and future significance of the railroad industry in the development of American life, especially the City of Baltimore, State of Maryland, and the surrounding region.
The Baltimore & Ohio Railroad Museum fills its mission by:
• Collecting, preserving, documenting and presenting representative objects, skills, and communal records from all facets of the railroad industry.
• Collecting, preserving, and interpreting historical railroad documents, data, and research for public access.
• Presenting railroad history to a broad public audience in the context of American history research and interpretation
• Developing educational outreach programs.
• Creating ongoing substantive interactions with the surrounding community, city and region.
• Striving to become a model of professionalism in railroad history and historic preservation, with emphasis on better integration of railroad museum activities with appropriate academic disciplines, railroad enthusiast organizations, and the larger historic preservation and museum communities.
To learn more about the museum, please visit them online at BORail.org.
By attending Pour the Core: A Hard Cider Festival in Baltimore, you are supporting the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad Museum. A portion of net proceeds will benefit the museum and its mission. Thank you for your support!